Friday, September 26

me and my panini maker...

it is the first day of being alone with my panini maker, my in-laws have flown east and 'the shed' is quiet...i am busy cleaning toilets (what is it about me and toilets these days) and wondering if my undies had been in better shape maybe i wouldn't have been given a panini maker...


in the meantime, i must find my 'gift' a place to live.
there is no room in my kitchen cupboards for they are full of other 'kitcheny things' lurking and mocking me from behind closed doors...i need to get creative with my hiding place. then when a child pipes up "oooh, Mum how about a panini?" (i have to tell you my kids were thrilled with my gift, couldn't see what was wrong with giving a kitchen appliance for a 40th), i will be able to say "well i'll be, i know i put it somewhere but for now it escapes me. why don't i get out my crock pot instead?".
at that point, said 'child' will run for the hills crying to all other children in ear shot "run, get out while you still can, Mum's getting the crock pot out". and all thoughts of paninis will be banished, (clever eh!)

and so it would seem, my panini maker has forced me to become a 'doily abuser', it's just down hill from here...

she's got a competition up her sleeve, stay posted for monday ~ Tif

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I had your blog book marked and stumbled upon it when I was rechecking that I added all of the blogs I loved on to my list. I didn't have a blog when I book marked yours, so some didn't transfer over. I read some of your older posts and current, and I remembered why I loved your blog! So, in a sense I'm delurking from about a year ago!
Happy 40th by the way!!

dottie angel said...

welcome back, Elizabeth :)

Unknown said...

You need a bigger doily, it's knobs are showing!

Kristy said...

As much as I love paninis I wouldn't be impressed either if my hubby got me a maker for my 40th. Well unless it was a as ruse to put me off the scent that he was taking me to Italy for fresh panini.Now that would be good!

Gigibird said...

That is soo funny....the doily over the panini maker. Is it your way to show defiance?

Michelle said...

ohhhhh...got to love a doily....
can you believe i have 2 slow cookers that i still can't find a spot to hide...panini makers are called sandwich makers over here...don't know why sounds silly come to think of it...

A time to dance said...

I can fully sympathise - I once got a book on fossils from my other half for my birthday - that was it - a book on fossils!!! He said he had been thinking of getting me a little hammer too- lucky for him he didnt it may have ended up where the sun don't shine.
Can't you sneak the offending item back to the shop and exchange - then make up a highly elaborate story about how it magically disappeared - by osmosis maybe!!
Sorry about the spelling - I teach drama we give meaning to words but never know how to spell them!!
love H from Yorkshire

Anonymous said...

What does the Mom of so many children do with that baby crock pot?? You can not be planning your empty nest! Great post, I love your humor. You are a great role model to display the paninni machine proudly rather than dissolving into a heap! Your new pic is great, obviously you have nothing to worry about, 40 or not!

kat said...

ack! i leave blogland to be busy in realland, & find i've missed your birthday.

a belated happiest of birthdays to you, & welcome to your forties!!!

i was forty for one day last year, then promptly returned to being perpetually 28.

Diane said...

I've heard of tea cozies, fluffy toilet seat covers, and even lacy antimacassars, but never anything to camophlage, adorn, or garnish a panini grill. You may be on to something there. Hurry up and get your idea patented before Martha Stewart beats you to it!

Anonymous said...

... ooh! Is throwing down the doily like throwing down the gauntlet?

Crochet hooks at dawn!

E

Hear Me Roar! said...

"Doily Abuser". Now THAT'S the funniest thing I've ever heard. Maybe that's what I can do with all the doilies I have in a box from my grandmother - abuse them!